Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Tell Me a Story...

Today's Life Journal readings are Ezekiel 3, Ezekiel 4, Psalm 81, and Revelation 17

Scripture: Ezekiel 4:2
"It is my pleasure to tell you about the miraculous signs and wonders that the most high God has performed for me."

Observation:
Nebuchadnezzar, king of Babylon, has had his own Aldersagate experience after he threw three into the furnace and looked in to see four walking around.

Application:
I love a good story.  Right now at Grace, we are in the middle of a series based on stories from the master story teller.  We have spent 3 weeks, so far, on the parables and have three more weeks to go.  There's just something about a really good story.  I love to hear them, and I love to tell them.  I especially love it when they are true stories, and personal.

It finally happened this week.  After 13 years of ministry, I have finally had someone come to me asking to give their testimony during worship.  I love it.  Now to get it plugged in soon. 

What I have found over the years is that it's like pulling teeth to get someone to stand up and tell other folks about the miraculous signs and wonders that the most high God has performed for them.  This should not be.   

I will never forget the night Bishop Bill Morris stood before us at Annual Conference and told us as clergy that once a year, every year, we are to stand in front of our people and tell them from whence we have come.  Since then, every year, usually in September, I do.  The story changes each time I tell it, and it should.  I would hate to think that God has not moved in my life since the first time I told my story.  This year, it will be told on September 30.  I always dread it, but at the same time, can't wait to tell it.

What's the story of the miraculous signs and wonders God has performed in your life?

Prayer:
O God, master storyteller, author of our own stories, help us to stand before others and read the words you have written in our lives.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment