Tuesday, September 18, 2012

How Can I Be Sure?

Today's Life Journal readings are Ezekiel 45, Ezekiel 46, and Luke 1

Scripture: Luke 1:18 (NIV)
"Zechariah asked the angel, 'How can I be sure of this? I am an old man and my wife is well along in years.'"

Observation:
Luke is beginning to describe the events leading up to the birth of Christ, along with a detailed account of all that has been told him about the life of Christ.

Application:
Finally...we're out of Revelation...I can start writing again.  Between Ezekiel and Revelation I've really struggled with journalling over the last couple weeks.  Maybe it's just an excuse...maybe I just need to admit that I don't really like those two books within our scripture.  I don't know. 

This chapter in Luke is pregnant...  It's full of anticipation, and it gives the account of two pregnancies in the history of God's people.  In the midst of that, we see a father-to-be's uncertainty.  If we're honest, we are much more like Zechariah in this passage than we're comfortable admitting.  We want to be part of something...but we're just not sure.

I know it's true for me, and I'll bet it is for you.  I could get more involved...if I could be sure that it was going to work.  I could allow myself to say yes to a call...if I could be sure that it wouldn't fail miserably.  What I have learned this week and last is that my uncertainty in many things is born out of my need to be in control (which I am in recovery for through our Celebrate Recovery group on Thursday nights).  For me to give myself fully to a situation, I need to know how it's going to turn out...the only problem with that is...I can't. 

So, Zechariah, you have my respect for being able to ask that question.  I struggle with you.  However, I can gain strength by reading your story and stories like yours. 

Prayer:
Oh God, who made your promise to be with us complete through the Incarnation, be with me also in my moments of doubt.  Though they are many, I ask for your forgiveness and your presence in those times when I need to be sure.  Strengthen me in my weakness so that I can answer with boldness the call you have placed on my life.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment