Monday, September 3, 2012

A Psalm...

The Life Journal readings for today are Ezekiel 20, Ezekiel 21, Psalm 111, and Revelation 8

Scripture: Psalm 111:1 (The Message)
"Hallelujah!  I give thanks to God with everything I've got."

Observation:
Ezekiel is prophesying about the destruction of Jerusalem and the people of Israel because they had rebelled against God.  They had disobeyed God, and now God has broken his promise with them.  Revelation talks about hail, fire, and blood raining down on earth, and a third of this and a third of that being wiped out.

Application:
With all of that death and destruction, the only place I could go this morning was to the Psalms.  Last week was pure hell around here, so I decided that instead of just journalling this morning, I'd try to write my own Psalm and I think Psalm 111:1 looks like a good place to start, so I'll borrow that line.

Hallelujah!  I will give thanks to God with everything I've got.
These past days have been rough
Laughter has been tempered with tears
Still, I will give thanks to God with everything I've got.
When the walls began to close in, you sent your Spirit
In the form of friends, you came to us to help hold the walls up.
I will give thanks to God with everything I've got.
When fear took over, you sent words of comfort
When the shadows grew long, you reminded us that even then you were there.
I will give thanks to God with everything I've got.
Now, what is, and what will be is in your hands.
Today we are unsure of much, but this we know, we are not alone.
I will give thanks to God with everything I've got.

Prayer:
God of today, tomorrow, and forever, again this day I place myself and those I love in your hands.  Only you know what lies ahead, but this we can be sure of, whatever this week brings, wherever it leads us, you are already there. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment