Tuesday, September 11, 2012

In Dreams...

Today's Life Journal Readings are from Daniel 1, Daniel 2, and Revelation 16

Scripture: Daniel 2:1 (NIV)
"In the second year of his reign, Nebuchadnezzar had dreams; his mind was troubled and he could not sleep."

Observation:
The opening chapters of the Book of Daniel begin to set the stage for the apocalyptic images that will come later in the book.  It starts with the first of Nebuchadnezzar's dreams.  The things that are going through his mind are troubling.

Application:
In 1963, Roy Orbinson released his song, "In Dreams."  I know, you might not think I would be, but I'm a fan.  I love listening to him sing.  According to Wiki, his song is an "operatic ballad of love lost."  I just think it's a cool song.  However, not all dreams are good dreams.

Nebuchadnezzar was terrified of the images that were coming to him in his sleep.  So much so, that he wouldn't even tell the men he had asked to interpret his dream what the dream was.  He expected them to not only interpret it, but tell him what it was that he saw in his sleep.  Impossible.

I've mentioned that I am a control freak.  There are a lot of things in my life that I can control.  I can control when I get up, what I eat, a lot of what I do, who I hang around with, etc, etc, etc.  What I can't control, are my dreams. 

I've never really thought about this before, but that is one area of our lives where we have practically zero control.  How many times have we been awakened by nightmares?  Nebuchadnezzar was.  I have been.  You have been.  We've probably all had a dream of falling and waking up right before we go splat...or showing up at school in our underwear...or having to walk across a crooked throw rug and not being able to straighten it up (shiver).

This entry may seem a little odd, but I think that I've just added one more item to my nightly prayer check list...peaceful dreams. 

Prayer:
O God of our waking and our sleeping, be with us each night as we close our eyes so that we may find rest as we rest.  Amen.    

No comments:

Post a Comment