Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Hidden Gems...

Today's Life Journal readings are Ezekiel 47, Ezekiel 48, and Luke 2.

Scripture: Ezekiel 48:35 (NIV)
"The distance all around will be 18,000 cubits.  And the name of the city from that time on will be: 'The Lord is There.'"

Observation:
Ezekiel is given the directions for laying out and dividing up the land that is to be home for the people of Israel. 

Application:
Ok, confession time: I have said more than once during the last couple weeks that Ezekiel was a tough book for me to really get into.  It's hard reading unless you're into reading the prophets and hearing about God smiting this group, or hail and fire raining down on that group.  In fact, it's almost depressing, but this morning it caught my attention.

There I was, reading along, my first cup of Pike Place Roast in hand (a dang good cup o' joe, by the way), watching as Ezekiel laid out the dimensions: something about the sea,  yada yada...something about a river, yada yada...something about a wadi (a wadi is a valley, just in case you were wondering), yada yada...something about gates, yada yada...and the name of the city will be "The Lord is There."  Wait...what?

I needed to hear that this morning.  Yesterday was a struggle.  Today and tomorrow are going to be non-stop.  It is National Talk Like a Pirate Day, so that will help...but I needed to be reminded that even in those moments when I'm only half paying attention, if I'm even giving it half, that God can still speak and I can still hear.  The Lord is there.  You're dang skippy, the Lord is there...

In our busy-ness, the Lord is there.  In our chaotic schedules...the Lord is there.  In our mind numbing routines...the Lord is there.  A pretty powerful hidden gem for me this morning.

Prayer:
O God, who waits for an opportunity to be heard, speak once again words that remind us all that we are not alone, that you are there.  When our eyes glaze over, our spirits are stressed, and our ears become distracted, never give up on the possibility that your word will break through when we least expect it.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment