Sunday, August 12, 2012

Trust Me...

Today's Life Journal readings are Jeremiah 10, Jeremiah 11, Jeremiah 12, and John 14.

Scripture: John 14:1 (NIV)
"Do not let your hearts be troubled.  Trust in God; trust also in me."

Observation:
Jesus is preparing his disciples for what is about to happen.  These are the beginnings of his final instructions to them.  Within just a few chapters he will be arrested and taken from them.

Application:
"Trust me."  How many times have we heard someone say those words?  How many times have we heard those words, and then watched as they were scattered like dust before a storm?

Reality would tell us that we're human, and humans will fail each other from time to time.  A promise may be made with sincere intentions, and reinforced with "trust me," but later broken.  It happens.  Unfortunately, it happens a lot, leaving the one who has been let down with even greater reasons for caution the next time they hear those words.  Often, they become shallow and meaningless.

I confess that I have trust issues.  That is one of the reasons I'm participating in Celebrate Recovery.  My inner circle is very small.  I can imagine that in their time, involved with who they were involved with, the disciples also had a very tight inner circle.  Even Jesus had only 12. 

I know that there may be times when human trust fails, but I don't fear that happening when I hear Christ speak those words to me.

Prayer:
God of us all, strengthen me as I hear Christ's call to trust in him.  Remind me of my human weaknesses and fill my growing edges with your presence.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment