Thursday, August 30, 2012

Right There...

Today's Life Journal readings are Ezekiel 8, 9, 10, 11, and Revelation 4

Scripture: Ezekiel 8:4 (The Message)
"Right before me was the glory of the God of Israel..."

Observation:
Ezekiel is given a vision of the idolatry being committed by the people of Israel and about what will happen to them because of it.

Application:
This morning was tough.  I almost didn't write at all, simply because of the texts for today.  Stuff like this in our scriptures gives folks some crazy ideas.  All you have to do is turn on the TV to find that out...ancient aliens...biblical aliens...Ezekiel's aliens.  Ok, I get it.  We have been trying to make sense out of Ezekiel's visions and the imagery in Revelation for centuries.  I have too.  I mean, sure, it would be great if science could prove that everything we read about in scriptures is true, but then the question becomes, "Define true?"

So for me this morning, it's not about the imagery itself.  Well, not about the imagery that stands out in texts...floating wheels and four headed creatures.  It's about a different kind of image.  To me, this passage, or at least that one line, calls me to open my eyes to God's glory breaking out right in front of me.  I mean, have you ever really looked at a passion flower?  It's one of the most complex flowers in the world.  I look at one of those and think, "Wow!  You did good with that one, God." (Knuckle bump)

Then I remember the first time I heard our daughters' heartbeats on the monitors, yeah the glory of God right before me.  Or what about the sounds of a baby's first cry?  Or the birds landing on the feeder in our backyard?  Or being able to hear a good friend's voice.  Yeah, those things.

The glory of God right before me?  I don't need images of ancient aliens to see that.  So, funny hair guy on the TV, go ahead trying to prove that Ezekiel saw a UFO.  I'll defend to the death your right to do that.  I'd like to help, but I'm a little busy trying to figure out how God stuffs 30 pounds of tomatoes into 1 tiny little seed.

Prayer:
God, who is mystery, reveal to me what you would have me see.  Open my eyes to see your glory in the day to day.  Create in me a heart of wonder, and allow me to see you wherever I look.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment