Thursday, August 16, 2012

For This Reason...

The Life Journal readings for today are 2 Kings 24, Jeremiah 22, Psalm 112, and John 18.

Scripture: John 18:37 (NIV)
"Jesus answered, 'You are right in saying I am a king.  In fact, for this reason I was born, and for this I came into the world, to testify to the truth."

Observation:
It has happened. He has been arrested and is now being questioned by the Roman authority in Jerusalem.  Claiming to be a king, while standing in front of someone with that kind of power, was not the best way to ensure one's survival, yet Christ didn't back down. 

Application:
It would have been so easy for him to say, "No, Pilate, I was just kidding.  I'm really not a king."  He could have walked away, gone back to Galilee, or anywhere, and had a relatively good life.  He might have taken a beating, but he wouldn't have been crucified.  But he stood true to his calling and purpose, and that is something I can easily respect.

I have noticed similar patterns in the ministry.  The easy road, and the road I have been called to tread, are not always the same.  In fact, rarely are they the same.  It took me a long time to realize what my purpose really was, and to realize that if I remained true to who I was created to be and what I was called to become, some folks might not like it. 

The decision is ultimately mine, though.  Do I stand behind what I perceive to be my purpose, even though it may not be easy or popular, or do I choose the easy way? 

Prayer:
O God who created us, remind us that even when we may feel like it is us against the world, we are not standing alone.  Teach us the see that those moments are the moments you are glorified through the path you have laid before us.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment