Monday, August 6, 2012

"No Room..."

Today's Life Journal readings are from Habakkuk 1, Habakkuk 2, Habakkuk 3, and John 8.

Scripture: John 8:37 (New International Version)
"I know that you are Abraham's descendents.  Yet you are looking for a way to kill me, because you have no room for my word."

Observation:
The Pharisees have challenged Jesus yet again.  John takes us from one judgment scene to another in this chapter.  Jesus refuses to judge the woman caught in adultery from the beginning of the chapter, only to be accused by others of being demon possessed a few lines later. 

Application:
It's almost as if Jesus is being attacked on all sides in this chapter.  John lists the Pharisees, the Jews, and the Jews who believed in him as all being involved in this conversation.  As he's speaking to the Jews who believed in him, he told them that they had no room for his word.  The Message paraphrase says that they could not get his message through their thick skulls, but if we stick with the NIV translation, it opens that accusation up to another possibility.

That hit me this morning after I found myself trying to find room in today's schedule to read and journal.  I could have justified skipping today because of everything I need to get done, and honestly, it would have been much easier to just go on about my day and save this for tomorrow. 

But...if I am sincere about going deeper in my own faith, and if I'm calling my flock to do the same, then I almost have to admit that sometimes it's hard to find room for his word, but it's important enough that I need to make every effort to do that very thing.

Prayer:
God of chaotic schedules, teach me to master my own busy-ness so that, as I converse with the Christ, I may not be accused of finding no room for his word.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment