Monday, August 20, 2012

I Know I Am, But What Are You?

Today's Life Journal Readings are from Jeremiah 48, Jeremiah 49, Psalm 67, and 1 John 1.

Scripture: 1  John 1:8 (NIV)
"If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us."

Observation:
The author of 1 John is talking about the redemptive work of Christ for those who admit their need for forgiveness.

Application:
(author's note: I am going to attempt this today without falling into a rant)

Christ nailed it in Matthew 7:5: "First get rid of the log in your own eye, then you can see well enough to remove the speck from your neighbor's."  I know that today, we're dealing with the 1 John 1 text, but as I read that one, this other kept coming to mind.  Why?  Because that's what the church is really good at doing, and it should not be so.

I know that I'm not perfect, and I honestly believe that there are very few among us who truly believe that they are, but just because my imperfection may not look like your impefection, that does not give you the right to continually point it out to me. 

I know that I am a sinner, redeemed by the blood of Christ.  I know that my life, even my ministry are not perfect.  However, if the kingdom is ever going to unfold around us, we have to stop being so judgmental.  I give God thanks for the work of grace in my life, that even as I admit I am a sinner, I am assured that I am a child of grace.

So, for those of you who can only feel righteous by continually pointing out the fault in others, read those words from 1 John 1:8 again, please...and then stop doing it.

Prayer:
God of the forgiven and those who feel they need no forgiveness, remind us all that our righteousness comes only through the gift you have given.  Teach us that you are glorified when we admit our dependence on your grace, and then, O God, give us eyes to see as you see.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment