Wednesday, July 7, 2010

To the End of the World...

(photo from www.tentonhammer.com)
I love to read, when I get a chance, which is odd considering this adult ADD thing I have going. I can't just sit down for anything, except to read. Right now, I'm reading the Chronicles of Narnia again...all of them. Last night I finished one of the books in the series, "The Voyage of the Dawn Treader," and it was about a grand voyage that Caspian, King of Narnia, Lucy, Edmund, Reepicheep the mouse knight, and a little snot named Eustace all went on.

Their mission was to discover what happened to the seven lords of Narnia and avenge their deaths if they could, and then, travel on to the very end of the world. Of course, we know that our world is round and has no ends, but this was Narnia and things were different. They had hoped to find Aslan's land at the end of the world but had no clue what it would look like or how they would know they had arrived.

I have to say, that took guts. Most good stories do. Here was this group of kids, or young adults, and a talking mouse, setting out on the adventure of a lifetime. I have to admit, part of me was jealous. I would love to set out on something like that, I think. At least, part of me would. (Warning, spoiler alert) I think that part of the reason I'm jealous is that they knew their mission and they weren't going to let anything get in their way; not a slave trader in the Lone Islands, an enchanted pool on the island of Deathwater, or even one of their own turning into a dragon. They just kept going, ever eastward, trying to accomplish their mission.

Have you ever wanted to do something like that? I mean, have you ever felt so strong about something you felt you needed to do, that you wouldn't let anything get in your way? I think I'm there now. Having a purpose feels good. Being on a mission helps keep this ol' boy focused, and like King Caspian and the others, I keep sailing even though I'm not sure exactly where I'll wind up.

Life is an adventure, if we let it be. The trouble is there are so many folks who are just like I was up until recently...so involved in the rat race that they can no longer hear God calling them into something bigger than they are, or to somewhere they have never been before.

Last Monday I had an epiphany, a revelation if you will. I set out on a hike, with a purpose, and because of that, I have been given my new heading and told to keep sailing. So, if you're tired of the same ol' same old, give me a shout. I can't sail this ship by myself.

Maybe, one of these days, someone will be telling our stories. Stories of one adventure after another, and how we conquered the giants, or how we kept going even though the mast had been broken off in a storm, and then how we finally got to where we were going. Dang, I love a good story.

Peace
Jamie

No comments:

Post a Comment