Friday, July 2, 2010

I'm Not Sure...


Ok, I've got it all figured out. I've been to seminary, have all the answers, and I'm just waiting for someone to ask me to impart my theological wisdom on them. Ok, I lied. I don't have it all figured out. I do have a seminary degree, but that doesn't mean I have all the answers. In fact, I don't think I would want to have all the answers because then the thrill of discovery would be gone.

Unfortunately, a lot of church crowds kind of want you to have it all figured out before you become a part of them. They think they've got all the answers, therefore, there is no need for your questions. The problem with that is, either those of us who still have questions sit there in their discussion groups pretending we don't, or we just don't go at all. Wouldn't it be cool if scripture actually gave us some guidelines on that? Oh wait, it does.

First, I apologize for being late today, I couldn't get online this morning. But when I did, and finally got to do some reading, I found myself in the book of Jude. It's one of those books that you just skim over in the New Testament, way in the back, mainly because of its size. Just a couple pages. Honestly, I know very little about it. I could do a little research but today, the who, what, when, and where really aren't as important as what is written.

Here is what I read this morning: "Be merciful to those who doubt; snatch others from the fire and save them; to others show mercy, mixed with fear..."

Hmm, imagine that. Some churches claim to follow scripture to the letter, but somehow miss this little jewel. It has been my experience that those churches who claim that are usually the ones least open to questions from the outside. I don't know why. Maybe their faith really is that strong and they honestly don't have any questions. Maybe their faith isn't as strong as they claim and any question causes them an uncomfortable uncertainty. Maybe they have one heck of a poker face and just wish there were an opening for them to ask the questions that are gnawing at their souls. I don't know. What I do know, is that I'm not alone in this whole, "ain't got it all figured out yet" thing.

And that is one of the reasons FaithRiver was born. Our goal is to give a Godshout to those folks who feel as if they are on the outside. I need to go ahead and own this up front, FaithRiver wasn't designed for church folks. Anyone is welcome, churched or not. But our primary purpose, our God given quest, is to reach out to those folks who don't feel they fit in a traditional church setting, who have some serious faith questions and are looking for a place where their questions, and others like their's, are honored and they are shown mercy.

That is why I have been posting a mix of Christian links and good ol' rock songs that can have a Christian message. God doesn't always speak in the way we think, and I know, God wants to answer some questions, even if God has to use Led Zeppelin to do it.

So, if you have it all figured out, I need you. You can be a big help. If you don't have it all figured out, I want you, and so does God. If you thought you did, but now you're not sure, hey, I have just the place for you. I love sitting down with folks and hearing their questions, giving them a safe place where they know they won't be judged, and watching as God begins speaking to them in a way that no one had ever thought possible.

May God be in your asking and in your answers.
Peace,
Jamie

No comments:

Post a Comment