Friday, February 24, 2012

A Hot Mess...


It's Friday morning. I've been running hard all week. My girls are out of school today. We're chilling. Well, actually, three of us are chilling. One has yet to discover, this day, that the world is even turning...but I digress.

As I sit at the kitchen table typing, coffee steaming beside the laptop, I have a perfect view of the home made cinnamon rolls I just put in the oven. I've been wanting to make some forever but hadn't found a recipe I really liked, or the time to make them anyhow. Today was the day.

Unfortunately, I have no idea how they're going to turn out. I followed the directions best I could (Baking soda is optional, right?). Rolled them out, patted them down, rolled them up, sliced and placed them in the baking dish. Now...I hope they're edible. The reality is they will probably rock, (cause I'm cool like that), but there is always the possibility they will just be a hot mess.

I don't know why, but as I sat down to write, after making a brand new recipe for the first time, and hoping they turn out ok, Jeremiah 1:4 kept coming to mind. "Before I formed you in the womb, I knew you, before you were born I set you apart; I appointed you as a prophet to the nations."

I wonder if God ever looks at me and thinks, "What a hot mess that one turned out to be." I mean, I am sure that I'm following the plan God had laid out for my life...now...but that wasn't always the case.

I doubt that most of my 20's were spent following God's plan for me from before I was born. I'm pretty sure there were times during high school that I absolutely wasn't following God's plan for me from my mother's womb. College? Let's don't even go there. I mean, I think I'm doing ok now, but there had to be times when God just shook his head.

Oh, I know Jeremiah 1 really doesn't have much to do with cinnamon rolls, but I sure do hope they turn out like I wanted them to. Hmm, maybe it does. Just something to chew on this morning (pun absolutely intended).

Oh, gotta go. Cinnamon rolls are done.

Peace,
Jamie

2 comments:

  1. So, did the cinnamon rolls turn out the way you wanted?

    I believe that my many years of not doing what God wanted me to do helped build my character (like I didn't have enough to begin with).

    ReplyDelete
  2. They weren't bad. Not as soft and gooey as I had hoped for but not bad at all.

    ReplyDelete