Saturday, May 21, 2011

My Last Blog Post...


I know, it saddens me too, but I'm afraid this will be my last blog post...or not...depending on if Camping was right. It's been a great run, though. Well over 200 posts in way under a year and a half. We've covered a whole lot of scripture, and a bunch of different topics. I've been patted on the back for things I've said here, and I've been, well, not patted on the back at other times. In fact, I've had folks pretty upset with me over things I have thrown through the gate. But hey, that's alright too.

I've spent a lot of time in introspection as my fingers worked the keyboard. I've wrestled with my own demons, sins, and shortcomings. I've celebrated the high points in life, in my family, and in my church...and I've ranted over my frustrations. I've learned that words can be weapons whether that's what the writer intended or not. I've learned truth hurts, and that laughs are far too few. But, at the same time, I've had a blast coming in and out of the city gate.

We are less than 12 hours away from the rapture, if you believe in the rapture, (Personally, I don't) not to be confused with the second coming (which we have done a lot). So, the countdown is on.

I read a friend's blog yesterday, Cap'n Dave, as he's known to his mates, and he mentioned the "If you knew you only had 48 hours left what would you do?" question that so many good pre-apocalyptic folks are asking. Then his answer was, "...just because the end of the world is supposed to happen on Saturday doesn't mean I would change anything."

See, I admire Cap'n Dave. He's a friend, a mentor, and a colleague. He also has taught me not to take myself so seriously (Insert the Joker's "Why so serious?!" here). I appreciated his answer. So, inspired by Cap'n Dave, I thought I'd let you in on how I plan on spending my last 12 hours.

I'm going to start by writing my last blog post (ok, it's not my last but I may do some restructuring. I love blogging, actually). I've already read my life journal texts like I do every morning, with my first cup of coffee. I'm going to finish my second cup of really good coffee while I watch my cat watch the birds. (He does this funny little chirping thing when a bird lands on the railing outside the window). I'm going to do a final edit on the sermon I'm preaching tomorrow (yep, tomorrow...after the rapture event).

While I edit, I'm going to sit here and listen to the birds in one ear(the A/C is out so we have the windows up) and The Cartoon Network in the other (the windows are up, so is my youngest daughter). Since it's Saturday, and possibly the last Saturday, I may have a third cup of really good coffee and not feel bad about talking about it.

I'm going to spend a little time with my girls this morning, and then go to Hannah's piano recital this afternoon. Who knows, if we get done in time, I may run up to our place and mow the yard (Don't want to check out with a shaggy lawn, ya know.) Then, after a little TV with my girls tonight, Steph and I will send them off to bed, hold hands for a while like we do every night, then go to bed ourselves...ma in her kerchief and I in my cap.

In other words, as Dave said, doing anything different during my last day or couple days would imply that I'm not satisfied with life as it is, and I have to say, I'm pretty happy with my life.

Now, since Camping said the rapture would be time zone specific and happen at 6:00 PM in each time zone, I'm going to check to see if folks are still hanging around in Jakarta.

Peace,
Jamie

No comments:

Post a Comment