Friday, June 25, 2010

Who Knows?...

Ok, I'm writing very quick this morning. My computer has caught up with 21st century technology but now I have less than 20 minutes left on my battery. Note to self: Get internet hooked up at the house.

This morning, I didn't read the Life Journal texts as closely as I usually do, because of time, but I found myself reading Joel this morning. I think, at best, I have skimmed Joel when I've read it before but something jumped out at me as I read. In the 2nd chapter, Joel is giving Israel "what for" because they have evidently, how shall I say, strayed from God's purpose for them as a nation.

He says, "Rend your hearts and not your garments. Return to the Lord your God, for he is gracious and compassionate, slow to anger, and abounding in love...who knows? He may turn and have pity..."

That's an abbreviated form of what Joel said, but the gist of it is this, "Straighten up...quit doing what you're doing, and get back to God...who knows? God may just not be as angry as you think God is."

This is something I have had to do over and over again for years. Not that I set out to intentionally do stupid stuff, it just happens. Evidently, I'm really good at the doing of the stupid stuff, and who knows why I do it? Sometimes that stupid stuff drives a perceived wedge between God and I. The only problem with that is...the perception is all on my part.

Joel knew that more than likely, once Israel turned back to God the relationship would be restored. The same is true for us. So, if you're doing stupid stuff, like I have most of my life, don't do it anymore. Don't beat yourself up over the fact that it happened, just don't do it anymore. Take that first step back to the God that loves you and is waiting with open arms, and... who knows?

Peace,
J

No comments:

Post a Comment